If you now clean your Beautyblender and cosmetic sponges once or twice a year at most, you need to clean them much, much more frequently.
Believe me when we say that spending five minutes cleaning your Beautyblender or beauty sponge is far preferable to having it sit and fester with accumulated skin debris, makeup, skin oils, and bacteria.
Take it from someone who honestly detests cleaning makeup brushes. So, keep on scrolling down this post and find out all about how to clean beauty sponge.
Table Of Content
- 1 How to clean beauty sponges?
- 2 How to clean beauty sponges with soap?
- 3 How to clean beauty sponges with soaking?
- 4 How to clean beauty sponges with a microwave?
- 5 How to clean beauty sponges with a washing machine?
- 6 FAQ
- 7 The Bottom Line
How to clean beauty sponges?
- First, wet the sponge. Under running water, gently squeeze your sponge until it is completely saturated.
- Add some soap in step two. To properly soak the mitt, squeeze some cleaning solution or wipe a bar of soap across it. We like to use a simple, unscented soap like the Pure-Castile Baby Soap made by Dr. Bronner.
- Rinse and scrub. Without wringing or pulling, swipe your beauty sponge across those silicone nibs until those stains and the smell of makeup vanish and then keep on rinsing the sponge until the water is crystal clear.
- Finally, you have to let the beauty sponge dry. Set your sponge aside and give it plenty of air movement to dry. However, drying your makeup sponge in a closed space can actually lead to mildew.
How to clean beauty sponges with soap?
- The first step would be to dampen the sponge with water. Under running water, squeeze your makeup sponge until it is totally soaked and enlarged.
- Include the cleaner. If you’re using a liquid cleaner, dispense the soap directly onto the damp sponge and start massaging, pressing, and pushing it into the palm of your moist hand to work the soap into the sponge’s center. If you’re using bar soap, exert pressure as you move the sponge back and forth on the bar to create a lather.
- Now it’s time to rinse. All you have to do is squeeze the sponge until the water dripping out of it is absolutely clean, then squeeze it one more time and place it somewhere to dry. Just remember using soap too frequently can cause your Beautyblender to degrade over time because it can be harsh and drying.
How to clean beauty sponges with soaking?
- First, soak. Squeeze/dunk your dirty sponge into the soapy formula by adding a few too many drops of soap liquid cleanser to a small container holding lukewarm water. Give it five minutes to soak.
- Next, scrub. To effectively remove stains and buildup, really work the sponge into the soap bar. You must put your fingers to use to rub the soap more intensely inside the beauty sponge once you’ve created a lather.
- The third and final step in this guide would be to rinse the beauty sponge. When the sponge begins to leak old makeup, rinse it with clean water. Squeeze it a few times to remove all of the soap. Set apart for drying.
How to clean beauty sponges with a microwave?
- Make a solution of soapy water. In a cup that can be heated in a microwave, first, combine a few sprays of water with a light soap (baby shampoo or dish soap will suffice). When it comes to measures, you can wing it as long as you make sure there is enough soapy solution to completely cover the sponge.
- moisten the sponge. After pre-wetting the sponge in the water with a few squeezes, fully immerse it in the cup of water.
- It’s microwaved. Before removing the cup from the microwave, give it at least 30 seconds to cool down. Microwave the cup for about a minute. Your filthy sponge will be spotless since the soapy water has turned into liquid makeup residue.
- Rinse it off. When the water is cool enough to handle, rinse and wring out the sponge in running water before putting it away to air dry.
How to clean beauty sponges with a washing machine?
- For those of us who have several sponges on hand or who are aspiring makeup artists, this technique works beautifully. It’s really simple for you to throw them in the washing machine; all you need are enough sponges to make it worthwhile.
- Put all of your sponges in a net lingerie bag. Put the bag in the finished washing machine.
- Do the laundry. We prefer to add in a mixture of Meyer’s laundry detergent and Beauty Blender liquid cleanser before setting the washing machine to gentle and adding an extra rinse cycle. After taking them out of the washer, keep them in the bag so they may air dry.
1: What can we use to clean our beauty sponges?
Our experts advise using gentle bar soap, dish soap, or cleansing solid from a beauty blender for the best outcomes. The brand’s cleaning solid, Blendercleanser, is carefully intended to remove stains gently without harming the sponge. It is also available in liquid form if that’s more your style.
2: How often should we clean our beauty sponges?
You used to constantly paint on your daily facial beat, claims dermatologist Ava Shamban of Beverly Hills. She advises that sponges and blenders be washed frequently and replaced every three months. They can go in the washing machine if they’re truly stinky and damp.
3: Is it okay to reuse beauty sponges after washing them?
The foam used to create reusable cosmetic sponges is resistant to microbial growth. Although these high-quality instruments are made to be reused, if they are not properly maintained and replaced frequently, they can accumulate bacteria and deteriorate. Wash your reusable sponge once a week, at the very least.
The Bottom Line
This is simply information; it’s not meant to make you uncomfortable or afraid (well, maybe a little, if it will actually motivate you to find out how to clean beauty sponge).
Even though your Beautyblender or sponge has antimicrobial characteristics, that doesn’t ensure it will always stay clean; rather, antimicrobial properties merely make the sponge less conducive to bacterial growth.
However, that does little to alleviate the buildup that can cause pimples, irritation, and inflammation, and that’s why we always advise you to keep your beauty sponge squeaky clean.